SA boogies for Turkish earthquake victims

The Marvin Center Ballroom transformed Saturday night into a dance club fully equipped with colored lights and a fog machine courtesy of the Student Association.

The event, a dance-a-thon to benefit victims of the earthquake in Turkey, raised about $500 for the cause, said Chris Fleming, director of Special Events for the SA. The disc jockey for the event was Korean Student Association President Joe Gim.

About 100 students attended the dance throughout the evening, Fleming said. Possible reasons for the dance-a-thon’s low turnout included HOVA’s Inaugural Ball and Greek-letter Rush events, which were held at the same time, said Liz Latwin, the communications director for the SA.

Despite a small crowd at the event, members of the SA said they were pleased with the dance-a-thon.

“Although the turnout isn’t as extravagant as we would have hoped, I had a great time,” said Jamie Kravitz, the assistant director for Special Events for the SA. “The DJ was fantastic, and the lights were great.”

Almost immediately following the destructive earthquake in Turkey, the SA began thinking of ways to raise money for the victims, Latwin and Fleming said. The SA has tried to plan its charity events in a relatively short period of time because of the urgency of the situation in Turkey, Latwin said.

“We’ve been planning all of our fundraising events for Turkish relief since the beginning of the school year,” she said. “Because this is a disaster relief effort, we are on a more limited time clock than we normally would be.”

The SA, in coordination with the Turkish Student Association, implemented different fundraising plans throughout the semester. The efforts included donation cans around campus and a fundraising softball game, which together raised about $1,600 dollars for Turkish relief, Fleming said.

“It took us two weeks to plan the (dance-a-thon and the softball game) with little preparation, and we raised more money than expected,” Fleming said.