Spirit program takes shape at GW

Erin Movshin, coordinator of GW’s Spirit program and coach for the University’s cheerleading and dance team, started this week’s tryouts with some realistic advice.

“We’re seeing how fast you can learn, and we’re seeing if we can work with you,” Movshin said to the group of prospective dancers, cheerleaders and mascots at Monday’s audition.

Movshin is auditioning students for positions on the cheerleading and dance team Monday through Thursday. The participants will learn their fate Friday at the final audition.

Freshman Valerie Atkinson has not cheered for a few years, but she decided her first year at GW was the ideal time for her to return to the sport.

“It just seems like it would be a lot of fun to go to the basketball games,” Atkinson said.

Another freshman said she saw the opportunity as a challenge.

“I’m just taking it as it goes and seeing what happens,” said Laura Hylden on her first day of auditioning for the Sensations dance team. “If anything, I’m going to try my hardest.”

The cheerleading squad has a long history at GW of appearing at men’s and women’s home basketball games, but the Sensations dance team is only in its second season.

Movshin said technique is important for the auditions but that is not the deciding factor in choosing team members.

“Anyone is trainable,” Movshin said. “People can absolutely develop skills. We have year-round training.”

Movshin said a good attitude is important, and by focusing on this aspect of the program, she hopes to create a niche for the Spirit program on campus.

“We want people to know that we support all athletics, as well as a lot of programs,” Movshin said.

Performance is only one aspect of the program. Movshin said she hopes those involved with the Spirit program can also do volunteer work across campus in the future.

“That’s why attitude is so important,” Movshin said. “We want people with enthusiasm about not only GW but every program they’re involved in.”

At Monday’s audition, Movshin’s final advice, before Madonna’s “Ray of Light” filled the Smith Center’s auxiliary gym and warm-ups began, was to have a good attitude and to never give up.

“Attitude is everything to the Spirit program,” Movshin said. “I mean, the name of the program – Spirit – says it all.”

After Monday, freshman Meredith Capps was intent upon keeping the dance steps fresh in her mind – practicing in the hallway before the second day of auditions began.

“It’s a lot of material to learn all at once, but it’s manageable,” Capps said.

Freshman Carolyn Lohman found auditions helpful because they allowed her to see where she fit in as far as skill level was concerned.

“It is a lot of information all at once,” Lohman said. “I think that’s just to make us know what we’re getting into.”