Recess opens season with midnight show

Prepare to laugh. Recess, GW’s first original comedic sketch and improvisation troupe, opens its season Friday.

This year’s group includes a mix of guys and girls, juniors and sophomores. But the members of Recess – Molly Adler, Chris Alexander, Wendy Butterworth, Don Pitz, Dorothy Robinson, Ryan Sager, Todd Shulman, Steve Siddell and Sam Sklaver – have one thing in common.. They’re all smart asses.

“Recess is like a butterfly resting on a gentle petal waiting for the apocalypse to come,” Robinson said.

Knowing the antics of Recess, it’s difficult to understand how the group gets work done. You picture them sitting in a dimly lit room, jokes flying through the air rapid-fire. While that image might be somewhat true, it’s also a ton of work.

Recess practices for two hours every night Monday through Friday. Three-quarters of practice time is spent writing sketches, working on sketch ideas and performing members’ written material. The other quarter – well, you can figure it out.

“We have a lot of fun, and that’s part of the work,” Adler said. “Joking around makes us a tighter group.”

The closeness of the group shows on stage. The way the members play off of each is natural and fluid – and of course, hilarious.

“Most of us have been together for two years,” Robinson said. “We seem to interplay with each other so well because of all the time we spend together. It’s an art really.”

Recess plans to give a performance every other month in the Dorothy Marvin Betts Theatre and to do improv shows in Downstage Lisner during the other months. Whatever Recess does in the upcoming year, go see them and be ready to laugh.

Recess performs Friday at midnight in the Betts Theatre. Admission is $3.