GW preseason ranked 11th

The Women’s Basketball News Service released its preseason top 25 Monday, and the GW women’s basketball team found itself in a familiar position – highly ranked. The Service ranked the Colonial women 11th in the country, making them the only Atlantic 10 team in the top 25.

The Service also named senior guard Elisa Aguilar to its All-American third team and freshman guard Lindsey Davidson to the All-Freshman second team. Davidson was a third team Parade All-American last year at Brea Olinda High School in Brea, Calif.

Basketball Notes:

– The women’s basketball season-opener at Vanderbilt University has been moved from Nov. 20 to Nov. 19.

– The 1999 Continental Basketball Association Draft was completed Tuesday, and 1999 GW alumni Shawnta Rogers (selected 47th) and Yegor Mescheriakov (54th) were both selected in the sixth round. Rogers was taken by the Rockford Lightning and Mescheriakov was selected by the Connecticut Pride. Both players were drafted previously by the United States Basketball League, and Rogers was drafted by the International Basketball League. Both players were passed over in the NBA Draft.

Mescheriakov is playing basketball in the Italian A2 League, while Rogers is waiting for the New Jersey Nets veterans’ camp in October.