GW perfect in A-10

The GW women’s volleyball team pounded out two conference road victories this weekend, defeating Duquesne and Fordham. GW’s powerful .366 attack percentage average in the two contests set the tone for the weekend.

The fast start for GW (7-3, 2-0 A-10) in conference play set the stage for a tough early season battle with defending Atlantic 10 champion Temple Friday in the Smith Center.

GW 3, Fordham 0
Saturday, Sept. 18

The Colonial women overwhelmed host Fordham at the Rose Hill Gym, winning the three-game match in less than an hour. GW matched its dominant performance over Duquesne the night before as the Colonial women pounded 42 kills and committed only 11 errors in the match. Junior Tracee Brown’s impressive .733 attack percentage for the match of 12 kills and one error in 15 attempts led GW.

GW defeated the Lady Rams 15-2 in the opener as GW had 15 kills to begin the match. The Colonial women briefly lost their sharpness, which cost them a few points in the middle game, but the Colonial women still dominated the game 15-6. In the short finale, GW smashed 16 kills and Fordham committed eight errors as the Colonial women won easily 15-2.

GW 3, Duquesne 0
Friday, Sept. 17

GW defeated an overmatched Duquesne team in three games at the A.J. Palumbo Center, opening its A-10 season in strong fashion. The Colonial women were nearly error-free as Brown and junior Julie Jahnke combined for 18 kills and only two errors in 25 total attempts. Their .650 attack percentage along with senior Gabriela Mojska’s match-high 16 kills helped GW overwhelm Duquesne.

The final game was barely a contest as GW beat Duquesne 15-2 to finish out the three-game sweep. GW committed only three errors in the final game and the Lady Dukes had a -.115 attack percentage.

The middle game of the match was dominated by the Colonial women as they won 15-5. Many of junior setter Jill Levey’s 35 assists and 12 digs contributed to GW’s match-high attack percentage of .448.

The Colonial women won the first game 15-8 as GW began its rout of the Lady Dukes. GW won easily in the game as Duquesne committed nine errors in the opener.