GW awaits Hurricane Floyd

University officials are monitoring weather conditions and their possible effect on campus as Hurricane Floyd is predicted to bring strong winds and rain to the D.C. area.

The category three storm, which already hit the Southeast, may cancel classes or close the University Thursday, depending on its impact to the city as it moves north, Facilities Management Director Walter Gray said.

“We will monitor it throughout the evening and determine whether there will be significant impact throughout the area,” Gray said.

District public schools announced Wednesday that the surrounding area schools were closed Thursday because of the storm.

According to CNN, the storm is expected to hit the Washington area Thursday. A tropical storm warning has been issued for the District.

Gray said his staff spent Tuesday and Wednesday preparing the University for the adverse weather conditions, including cleaning out drains so water can flow.

Because of the many construction sites on campus, Gray has been in contact with contractors and construction crews to check concerns about blowing debris.

Gray said several University officials will close the University if “life safety” becomes threatened by the storm.

He said students can receive the latest information through the University’s hotline at 994-5050. In addition, information will be provided to the local media.-Matt Berger

For the latest GW closings, check out The GW Hatchet online at https://www.gwhatchet.com