Faculty remembers late GW professor

Political science Adjunct Professor David C. Cox, who earned his doctorate at GW, died Aug. 31, the victim of an apparent suicide, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

Cox’s body was found under the Q Street Bridge in Rock Creek Regional Park, according to The Washington Post.

Officer Robert Smith, a spokesman for the medical examiner’s office, said MPD suspects Cox’s death was a suicide. But he said the official cause of death will not be available for six weeks.

Cox, who worked in the political science department, most recently taught the class “Comparative Politics of Russia and Eastern Europe” during spring semester. Cox also taught classes in U.S. foreign policy and comparative politics of Western Europe.

“I can say he was a reliable instructor for us,” said Professor Jeffrey Henig, chair of the political science department. “His teaching evaluations have been getting better and better. He was a knowledgeable scholar and a good and reliable teacher.”

Henig said Cox taught at GW virtually every semester during the past few years.

“It’s always a semester by semester kind of thing,” Henig said.

Professor James Lebovic served as a reader on Cox’s dissertation board in 1991.

“His dissertation dealt with Soviet military strategy in Afghanistan and phases of Soviet occupation and the tactics they employed,” Lebovic said.

Lebovic said he remembers working closely with him, especially in the beginning of his dissertation preparation.

“(We) did socialize a bit of the time outside the University; we had Thanksgiving dinners together,” Lebovic said.

Professor Carl Linden also taught and worked with Cox.

“He was a very courteous scholar and very well-liked,” Linden said. “I did write a number of recommendations for various job opportunities (for him).”

“He wasn’t a party type,” Linden said. “He was very reserved and quiet and lived to himself in many ways.”

Lebovic said Cox was a helpful person.

“I remember he was a very giving person and wouldn’t hesitate to offer his assistance,” Lebovic said. “He was a very quiet person who obviously kept a lot inside of him.”