News Briefs

GW faculty member found dead

GW Assistant Professorial Lecturer David C. Cox died Aug. 31 in what police suspect was a suicide, according to The Washington Post.

The Post reported that Cox’s body was found under the Q Street Bridge in Rock Creek Regional Park and that the cause of death is still pending.

Cox was part of the GW faculty since 1991, the year he received his doctorate in political science with a major in international politics, according to The Post.

Cox’s first book, “Retreating From the Cold War: Germany, Russia and the Withdrawal of the Western Group of Forces,” was published in 1996 and his editor, Heather Staines, said the nearly complete manuscript for his new work, “Close Protection: The Politics of Guarding Russia’s Rulers,” will most likely come out late next year, according to The Post.

Mr. Cox was born in Aurora, Ill., and is survived by his mother, Esther, of Naperville, Ill., two brothers and a sister, according to The Post.

-Theresa Crapanzano

Police arrest accused rapist

Efrain Antonio Ramirez, a 32-year-old man who was accused by Metropolitan Police of attempting to sexually assault a GW student living off campus last year, was arrested in New York recently.

University Police Director Dolores Stafford said Ramirez fled to El Salvador after a GW student, who lived in a Potomac Park apartment, at 510 21st St., accused him of trying to rape her.

Last year Metropolitan Police Sgt. Joe Gentile said Ramirez was a contracted worker for the apartment and entered the woman’s apartment Feb. 8 to make a repair. After entering, he tried to rape the woman but fled after a struggle, Gentile said in February.

-Francesca Di Meglio and Steven Postal

Russian Bazaar holds its kickoff event

About 50 Russian-American students gathered on the third floor of the Marvin Center for the Russian Bazaar’s kickoff event Friday night.

The group’s first event of the year featured a keynote speaker, a Russian movie and a gathering at a nearby cafe.

Grishna Vinogradov, the Bazaar’s vice president and Web site coordinator, said she feels the purpose of the group is to foster a Russian community.

“There’s a big Russian community out there, but no one to really unite them,” she said. “Our goal is to make socialization as easy as possible.”

Freshman Eugenia Gusev said she went to the event with the purpose of “trying to meet people who speak the language and who might have similar interests.”

She said the group’s goal of building a Russian network at GW is facilitated because the majority of members speak Russian.

Friday night’s event was the first of many events the Russian Bazaar will sponsor throughout the year, President Sviatoslav Voloshin said.

Excited about the event’s turnout, Voloshin said he looks forward to promoting awareness of Russian culture around campus and bringing GW’s Russian community together.

-Phil Amylon