Modernized WRGW — staff editorial

GW’s radio station, WRGW, recently moved into a new facility it needed to become a recognized presence on campus. Many national universities have college radio stations, and if WRGW takes advantage of its technological improvements, GW will gain another outlet for student expression with the radio station.

WRGW’s new state-of-the-art studio is located on the ground floor of the Marvin Center, a much more visible setting than its old location on the fourth floor of the same building.

The station broadcasts on cable channel 22 and in University buildings at 540 AM. Jason Cohen, general manager of WRGW, said that the station is applying for FM broadcasting rights from the Federal Communications Commission. With an FM signal, WRGW would reach GW’s Mount Vernon campus and other locations within an eight-mile radius. Though securing a place on the FM airwaves would take up to three years, FM status would add to the legitimacy of WRGW.

The University’s main objective in improving WRGW is to make broadcasts of GW sports available to students. WRGW needs to make the best of this great opportunity. The station is already playing top 30 college radio music 65 percent of the time, and longer broadcasting hours are in effect. More regularly scheduled times for radio shows would also add to the appeal of WRGW.

WRGW has the potential to become a real force at GW. If the station capitalizes on its recent progress, the GW community will have a new, more personalized, source of information and entertainment.