GW is winless at Wofford

While the women’s soccer team idled over the weekend with an 0-5 record, the men’s soccer team added to GW’s futility, losing two at the Mary Black/Wofford College Fall Classic in Spartanburg, S.C., to give GW a combined soccer record of 1-7-1.

Wofford 2, GW 0
Sunday, Sept. 12

GW was 18 seconds away from a halftime tie when Wofford College’s Marcus Talbert struck for a goal to give the Terriers the advantage. Talbert struck again in the 62nd minute to ice the game for Wofford, which won its first match after an 0-3 start.

GW sophomore Jason Holloway did not score for the first time this season, but he did take four of GW’s eight shots. Wofford outshot GW 10-8.

In goal for the Colonials was Nick Parypinski, who started in place of Michael Jelencovich. Jelencovich was suspended after receiving a red card in Saturday’s loss to Georgia Southern University. Parypinski recorded six saves.

Georgia Southern 5, GW 4
Saturday, Sept. 11

Despite being two men down, Georgia Southern defeated GW in the first match of the Fall Classic in Spartanburg, giving GSU its first win of the season, after an 0-3 start of its own.

Freshman midfielder Riccardo Forno, playing in his first regular season match after suffering an ankle sprain in the preseason, scored twice for GW.

His two goals, the first of the match for the Colonials, tied the score in the 27th minute after Georgia Southern jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on two goals by Jeremy McClure, who finished with four goals in the match.

The tie was broken barely a minute later, when David Fisk put Georgia Southern back on top 3-2.

The two teams combined to score another four goals in the hotly contested second half. McClure opened the second-half by scoring with his third of the day, expanding Georgia Southern’s lead to 4-2.

After receiving a yellow card in the first half, Georgia Southern’s Alex Branch was ejected in the 54th minute after receiving a second yellow card, giving the Colonials a man advantage. GW quickly took advantage, as Jason Holloway scored in the 60th minute on a pass from sophomore midfielder Mike Goldman to make the score 4-3. Holloway is GW’s scoring leader, after scoring once in each of GW’s first three matches this season.

Georgia Southern lost another player, Alan Woodrum, in the 70th minute, giving GW a two-man advantage. Woodrum was also ejected after receiving two yellow cards.

Once again, the Colonials capitalized, as freshman forward Kirk Lewis tied the match with a goal off an assist from Andre Cardim.

The crucial play of the match occurred in the 76th minute, when GW goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich pulled down McClure in the box on a breakaway, and Jelencovich received a red card. Sophomore Nick Parypinski stepped in as goalkeeper but was unable to save McClure’s penalty kick, giving Georgia Southern a 5-4 lead and McClure his fourth goal of the day.

From there, Georgia Southern put on the defensive pressure, and GW was unable to score in the last 14 minutes.

Jelencovich tallied all six of the Colonials’ saves prior to being ejected, while John Miglarese recorded six saves for Georgia Southern.

-David Holt contributed to this report