Colonial women cruise to Navy title

The GW women’s volleyball team hit the lowest and highest points of its young season in a three-day span this week.

The Colonial women (5-3) were dispatched in short order by Georgetown Wednesday night in a three-game sweep. But they came back to dominate the Navy Trident Classic in Annapolis, Md., this weekend, dropping just one game in three matches en route to the championship.

Senior Gabriela Mojska led GW in the tournament with 37 kills over the three matches.

The Colonial women are back in action when they open Atlantic 10 play at Duquesne Friday before taking on Fordham in the Bronx, N.Y., Saturday.

GW 3, Navy 0
Saturday, Sept. 11

The Naval Academy managed to score just 10 points in three games as GW swept its way to the tourney title Saturday, 15-6, 15-3, 15-1.

GW was efficient in winning the title, taking just 53 minutes to beat Navy. The Colonial women doubled the number of kills that Navy had in the match, led by Gabriela Mojska’s 14 kills and junior Tracee Brown’s 11. Junior setter Jill Levey had 36 set assists in the match.

The team recorded a nearly flawless second game in which it put down 19 kills and made just two errors. It also hit a season-high .417 attack percentage.

GW 3, Fairleigh Dickinson 0
Saturday, Sept. 11

GW had as little trouble in its morning match at the Navy tourney as it did in the evening, blowing out Fairleigh Dickinson University 15-7, 15-2, 15-1.

This match took just 45 minutes for the Colonial women to complete as the Colonial women put the match away with defense. GW registered 18 team blocks, including four solo blocks and 14 instances where GW players combined for a block. Tracee Brown led GW with eight kills and six blocks, while junior Julie Jahnke had five kills, two solo blocks and seven block assists.

Fairleigh Dickinson had just eight kills to go along with 30 errors in the match.

GW 3, Brown 1
Friday, Sept. 10

The Colonial women had their toughest match in the Navy Trident Classic in its opener Friday as Brown University took them to four games, 15-9, 15-10, 3-15, 15-12.

Three GW players had double figures in kills, led by Gabriela Mojska’s 16. Tracee Brown had 15 kills and Renee Arnold had 12. Jill Levey registered 49 set assists.

Georgetown 3, GW 0
Wednesday, Sept. 8

Georgetown took just over an hour to put the Colonial women away Wednesday at McDonough Arena, 15-8, 15-6, 15-2.

The Hoyas improved upon their perfect record with the win, moving to 5-0.

Gabriela Mojska had eight kills to lead the Colonial women.

Yulia Vtyurina, sister of GW great Svetlana, led the Hoyas to the victory with a match-high 14 kills. Georgetown played a nearly flawless match, committing just eight errors while pounding down 42 kills.