GW group locates foreign internships

A GW group that helps students at the University find foreign internships is gearing up for another year.

The group called the Association for International Exchange of Students Interested in Economics and Commerce acts as an exchange network between committees in the United States and from other countries, AIESEC President David Metnick said. AIESEC’s purpose is to assist students worldwide obtain internships outside their home countries.

“(AIESEC) is student-run and it’s a peer-led organization,” Metnick said. “But we are backed by some major people.”

Michael Plostock, the group’s vice president for corporate relations, said AIESEC members work with companies to obtain internships. Some of the companies the group works with include Arthur Andersen and L-Soft. AIESEC hopes to add other accounts, such as IBM and Capital One.

Plostock said the group gains accounts through referrals from other companies.

“We’re giving these companies qualified candidates at a minimum cost to them,” Metnick said. “At the same time, we get experience.”

Alicia O’Neil, AIESEC’s vice president for student relations, said her responsibility is to find students interested in obtaining an internship in a foreign country. She works with GW students to obtain information about potential opportunities, and then the group has a network of people who are matched with companies from the group’s listing of corporations.

Metnick said AIESEC sent eight students to six different countries during the summer. They worked in countries such as Turkey, Panama, China, Tunisia and Hong Kong.

“You get such an incredible experience,” Metnick said. “They go there and have a welcoming group of people.”

Metnick said AIESEC has provided IBM with 45 people nationwide and plans to provide PriceWaterhouse Coopers with 50 people this year. The group also welcomes students from other countries, Plostock said.

“We find jobs for people from around the world to work in D.C.,” he said.

Metnick said AIESEC provides the foreign students with housing and other important information.

AIESEC is open to all GW students, although its popular among business students. Metnick said the group is running a recruitment drive to get people involved in October or November.

Metnick said he hopes AIESEC will expand to work with other student organizations, this year.