GW places third in volleyball tourney

The Colonial women finished in third place at the 14th Annual University Park Holiday Inn Classic, a four-team tournament held this weekend in Fort Collins, Colo.

The Colonial women (2-2) dropped two tough matches against nationally ranked teams Friday and Saturday, but GW was able to battle back Sunday and prevail in a five-game match against Southeast Missouri State University. The 24th-ranked Colorado State University Rams defeated No. 25 Loyola Marymount University in three games to win the tourney. GW travels up the hill to take on Georgetown Wednesday night.

GW 3, SE Miss. St. 2
Sun., Sept. 5

The Colonial women edged a winless SE Missouri St. team to claim third place in the tournament, winning the duel 15-11, 15-13, 13-15, 5-15, 15-11. GW junior Suzana Manole posted a triple-double with 11 kills, 11 digs and 12 assists.

GW took advantage of SE Missouri St.’s negative attack percentage, meaning more errors than assists, to win the opener. Both teams pounded 24 kills in the second game, but GW was able to hold on for the close win. GW’s game-low .109 attack percentage in the third game and SE Missouri St’s 20 kills in game four helped to even the match. GW’s final game .389 attack percentage of eight kills and one error in 18 attempts led the Colonial women to victory.

LMU 3, GW 0
Sat., Sept. 4

GW gave a scare to a ranked Loyola Marymount before succumbing in three games, 16-18, 12-15, 8-15. Five Colonial women had at least eight kills in the match and GW was led by senior Gabriela Mojska, who had 15 kills. Both teams had double-digit kills and errors in all three games played. LMU pounded GW in kills 67-52, which was the difference in the match. Jill Levey had her first double-double of the season with 43 assists and a match-high 18 digs.

CSU 3, GW 0
Fri., Sept. 3

Colorado State opened the tournament by handing GW its first loss of the season. The Rams swept the match, defeating the Colonial women 15-7, 15-8, 15-10. GW committed 12 errors in the first game, which contributed to their -.088 attack percentage.

GW battled in the middle game with 16 kills and a .146 attack percentage, but CSU posted 14 kills and only four errors for the win. CSU committed a game-high 13 errors in the finale, but the continued CSU attack produced 17 kills and was good enough for the final game victory.