GW kicks off with win, tie

GW defeated Mount Saint Mary’s College and battled the University of Albany to a draw to finish second in last weekend’s Hoya Soccer Classic at Georgetown University. Monday’s win was GW head coach George Lidster’s 100th career victory. Lidster is the winningest coach in GW history (100-83-27).

GW 3, Mt. St. Mary’s 1
Mon., Sept. 6

GW senior Evan Nierman scored the game-winning goal and added an assist in the Colonials’ 3-1 victory Monday over Mount St. Mary’s. Nierman and sophomore Michael Goldman assisted on sophomore Jason Holloway’s goal in the 28th minute to give GW the lead. The Colonials gave up a tying goal in the 51st minute, but Nierman curled a 24-yard free kick into the goal in the 66th minute to give GW a 2-1 lead. Freshman Andre Cardim headed in a Goldman pass in the 88th minute for the clincher.

“I’m happy the lads got the result they deserved, and I’m pleased with our performance in the tournament.” Lidster said according to a press release from the GW Sports Information Department.

GW 2, Albany 2
Sat., Sept. 4

GW tied Albany 2-2 Saturday to begin its 1999 season. Holloway scored the Colonials’ first goal of the season in the 15th minute by redirecting a Nierman pass by Albany’s goalkeeper, Trevor Serraro. Albany evened the game in the 25th minute when a free kick struck the left post and barely went into the goal. A GW defender appeared to clear the ball before it crossed the goal line, but the linesman ruled that it was a goal.

GW took the lead back in the 41st minute when senior midfielder Marty Williams nailed home a Goldman corner kick. GW missed several opportunities to increase its lead when a Nierman free kick missed wide right in the 64th minute. Holloway was also robbed by Serraro on a point blank attempt from 16 yards out.

Albany managed to tie the game in the 82nd minute when an Albany player banged home a loose ball in the GW box.