Women’s Center seeks diversity

When The GW Women’s Center at Mount Vernon College opened March 1, it had this question in mind – who listened to Martha Washington?

The Women’s Center mission statement dedicated the Center as a resource, a safe space and a forum for free discussion between diverse women.

At the Center’s first meeting this year, Janice Cori, a second-year women’s studies graduate student and junior Ruthie Vishlitzky enthusiastically spoke about the Women’s Center plans for the year.

After working last year to open its doors, this year the Center prepares to fill the space inside with discussion groups, speakers and events. Vishlitzky said the central initiative is to establish the space as a resource center with a library and possibly a newsletter.

The Women’s Center envisions itself as a place for information and referrals, open 24 hours, seven days a week. Programming for a speaker’s series, discussion groups and workshops are also underway.

The Women’s Center is also planning for campus-wide events, tentatively including “Take Back the Night,” a national rally for survivors of violence to take to the streets, and “Love Your Body Day,” a program through the National Organization of Women.

Women’s Center members encourage collaboration with student organizations to bring in a larger, more diverse group.

“It is important to keep the Women’s Center a place for open discussion for people of all different opinions,” sophomore Erin Street said.

The next Women’s Center meeting is Sept. 7 at 9 p.m., in the Women’s Center at Mount Vernon College’s Academic Center.