Senior fights to extend GW lease

A senior is attempting to remain in his GW-owned house after administrators told him to vacate the premises by the end of the semester, according to a letter he received from the Real Estate Office.

“A decision has been made that our current institutional needs will no longer permit continued use of the property for student housing,” Real Property Manager Kevin Muldoon wrote in the letter.

Senior Jacob Pfeffer, who lives at 2317 Virginia Ave., said he was aware of the possibility of being asked to leave when he signed the lease. But he said he never expected the University to ask him to leave one semester shy of graduation.

Muldoon wrote that any students living in the homes could have been placed on the Community Living and Learning Center’s Housing Services waiting list for housing in the residence halls.

In a recent interview, Muldoon said the University also gave students living in the Virginia Avenue homes first notice when vacancies on other GW properties became available. Muldoon said the waiting list and other vacancies are no longer an option.

Students can break their leases as soon as they find a new home, according to the letter.

Pfeffer said the University’s disregard for manners was disturbing. He said the administrators know that some of the students are seniors and will have to find housing for only one semester.

Muldoon said he checked the enrollment rosters and was aware seniors would have to leave. Muldoon said about 28 students were asked to leave the houses, and more than half of them are still there.

The University is charging only half of the rent to students who remain in a house after their roommates have vacated, Muldoon said.

Beyond losing his home, Pfeffer said he is also worried about the community’s future.

“We’re losing the whole Foggy Bottom-feel and turning our campus into NYU,” Pfeffer said.

Muldoon said he could not comment about the University’s intentions for the property.