GW experiences technology changes

Students are plugging in, turning on, and booting up across GW and the nation. E-mail, Internet, and even compact disc burners have become a common sight in many residence hall rooms.

But not all students have caught up with the digital revolution. Luckily for GW students, a variety of departments, many of which are undergoing changes, can be found on campus to aid with technology problems.

Several new computer labs, both Mac and PC, are open 24 hours for those last-minute papers. ResNet, the department in charge of residential networking technology, extended its hours, added more locations for information sessions, and increased support for its phone assistance line this year.

“ResNet continues to be a very customer-oriented experience, from the hub sites and in-room visits to the new GWired guide, which assists students in navigating their own computers,” ResNet spokesperson Alexa Kim said. “We’ve grown this year from 2,800 student connections to 3,800, mostly because of completion of phase two of the Millennium Project and the addition of the Hall on Virginia Avenue.”

An official at Colonial Computers, located in the ground floor of the Marvin Center, said that something interesting happened this year in its sales.

“More laptop-style Ethernet cards have been sold than any previous year, almost as many so far as desktop-style cards,” store manager Henry Ziegler said.

Computer Information Resource Center converted its name to the Information Systems and Information Technology departments.

“The transition is going well,” said P.B. Garrett, GW’s director of Information Technology. “Everyone is working very hard to ensure the services we provide remain at a premium level.”

The department formerly known as CIRC was reformed and redefined last year, mainly to focus the priorities of each individual unit. The help desk and academic services became their own divisions, but will continue to share information with other branches.