Colonial women bitten by Hoyas

The GW women’s soccer team was shut out for the second time in the young season Tuesday, falling 2-0 at Georgetown.

At Georgetown’s Harbin Field, the Hoya women took over a scoreless game in the second half with two goals by junior midfielder Liz Delgado.

GW (0-2) played well in the first half, showing many signs of improvement over its last game against Maryland. Unlike Sunday’s game, the Colonial women were able to keep possession of the ball and had a strong offensive attack throughout the first half. But strong plays from Georgetown’s goalkeeper, Shereena Chang, kept the Colonial women scoreless.

In the second half, Georgetown came out attacking on offense and seemed to catch GW off-balance. Georgetown’s first goal in the 51st minute of the game resulted from a long pass into the penalty box. A deflection off a GW defender put the ball in perfect shooting position for Delgado. Her shot glanced off the fingertips of sophomore goaltender Shannon Ashfield and dribbled into the back of the net.

The Colonial women almost broke through five minutes later. With the Hoyas’ goalie out of position, sophomore midfielder Angelica Caramanica pulled the trigger, but her shot sailed high over the crossbar.

Georgetown put the game away in the 60th minute when Ashfield misplayed a shot from close range. Delgado pounced on the loose ball in the penalty box to net her second goal of the game and seal the victory for the Hoyas.

The Colonial women travel to the University of California Tournament in Berkeley, Calif., for two contests this weekend.