PB evaluates spending strategy after big loss

The Program Board is looking for new ways to stretch its budget this year after experiencing a $45,000 loss on last year’s Blues Traveler concert.

Seth Weinert, executive vice chair of PB, said they are looking at more “creative” ways to program after last year.

“We’re going to take a hard look at the way we do Fall Fest and other concerts,” he said.

Weinert said PB already saved money this year because it hired a different entertainment company. The company offered a better selection of games at lower prices to provide the inflatables, a digital reality tent and games for Fall Fest.

Weinert said PB is also saving money using the $30,000 of new office equipment it bought last year. The equipment, which includes three new computers, a color-laser printer and a digital camera, allows the organization to complete all of its advertisements and fliers in-house as opposed to spending money at Kinko’s, Weinert said.

Weinert said PB is also pondering new sponsorship ideas and considering whether to fund its own events instead of other groups’ events.

“We’re not saying we’re not going to co-sponsor other groups’ events, but we are going to examine things more closely and see if money could be used for other things,” he said.

PB Concert Chairman Ian Zeitzer said the committee has not planned all of its concerts for the year and is still open to having a big name band if it is manageable “without a big risk.” Zeitzer said one way they would go about minimizing the risk of having a big band on campus is through seeking a corporate co-sponsorship.

Weinert said despite the loss last year, PB will have a good financial year.

“I think we’re a cost-efficient organization,” Weinert said. “We usually do a pretty good job.”