GW student groups wait for new offices

Student organizations still waiting for office space will need to remain patient this week as the final arrangements are being made to the fourth floor of the Marvin Center, said Mike Petron, Marvin Center Governing Board chair.

“I’m not happy about it,” Petron said. “I wish I could wave my hand and say we’re all in our spaces and happy.”

He said the MCGB plans to meet either Wednesday or Thursday to allocate space on the fourth floor, after a summer of renovation caused all groups to pack up their belongings and use temporary space on the second floor. So far, only the Student Association and Program Board are fully settled in their old spaces, Petron said.

“The first groups will be able to move in the Tuesday after Labor Day,” he said.

He said though some organizations could move in temporarily, it would be easier to leave supplies in boxes until they know where they will be permanently housed.

Organizations requesting space were required to file an e-mail application by last Friday. Petron received 90 applications, but said some may be duplicates. Petron said he is unsure how many groups will fit in certain spaces, but estimates 50 groups will get fourth floor offices.

Even when organizations move back to the fourth floor, Petron said there will be a lack of furniture for student groups. Though new furniture was purchased during floor renovations three years ago, there is not enough to fill the new space. He said 35 spaces have furniture at this time.

Petron said it will take about two months to receive the new tables and chairs, which have not been ordered yet.

But Assistant Vice President for Student Academic and Support Services Mike Gargano said the administration ordered custom-made furniture and, in the meantime, will offer student groups temporary furniture.

Petron said other equipment is not ready. Crews began installing phone lines for student groups last week, and the job will be finished this week. Computers for student group use will be installed this week as well.

Petron said he is disappointed the student organization space was not ready by the beginning of school.

“We’re losing basically a month at the most important time,” he said.

He said most student organizations have been understanding about the situation.

“I’m shocked I haven’t gotten nasty phone calls and e-mails,” Petron said. “People have been very considerate. Much more considerate than I have been.”

-Francesca Di Meglio contributed to this report.