News Briefs

Student groups apply for allocations

All student groups who intend to apply for funding from the Student Association for the first semester must have forms in by Monday, Aug. 31, at 5 p.m.

Forms are available on the fourth floor of the Marvin Center in the SA office and are also available online at http://go.to/safinanceAny student group leaders who have questions should contact SA Senate Finance Chair David Burt at [email protected].-Theresa Crapanzano

Student groups raise money for earthquake victims

The Turkish Student Association and the Student Association are joining forces to raise money for victims of an earthquake that killed 12,025 Turkish residents Aug. 16.

CNN reports that United Nations officials fear that the death count could rise to as many as 40,000 when all the victims are uncovered. Thirty-four thousand residents were injured in the disaster, according to CNN.

“As quickly as the earthquake struck is as quickly as we have to react,” SA President Phil Meisner said.

Meisner said students can donate money at tables that will be set up around campus beginning Monday. Other relief efforts will develop throughout Welcome Week, he said.

Turkish Student Association President Halim Tansug said students can donate money to the Turkish Embassy or to the American Red Cross. The money raised for the Turkish Embassy will be donated on behalf of the entire student body, Meisner said.

The effort will last through Friday, but Tansug said he expects other relief efforts will take place on campus. The work will continue long after this first week of classes, Tansug said.

“The quake was so tragic, and we have such a clear connection to the Turkish community that GW had to do something,” Meisner said.

-Francesca Di Meglio

Former GW faculty member dies

Former GW faculty member Virginia R. Allen, 82, died after a heart attack Aug. 8 in Sarasota, Fla., as reported in The Washington Post.

Allen served as deputy assistant secretary of state for public affairs from 1972-77 and then directed the women’s graduate studies program at GW until 1983. She represented the U.S. at the 1974 conference of NATO information officers, according to The Post.

As a strong advocate for women’s rights, she led the U.S. delegation to United Nations seminars in the Soviet Union and Gabon on the participation of women in the economic life of those countries. She was appointed chairwoman of President Richard M. Nixon’s Task Force on Women’s Rights and Responsibilities in 1969 and served on the Citizens’ Advisory Council on the Status of Women for eight years.

Allan was a member of U.S. delegations to three Women’s World Conferences. She organized and later served as second chairperson for the U.S. Committee of the United Nations Development Fund for Women, according to The Post.

After moving to Florida in 1993, Allen was awarded a Medal of Honor from Veteran Feminists of America.

-Daniel Yang

Student Association to host book exchange

The Student Association will host a book exchange on the H Street Terrace through Wednesday.

The exchange will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday.

-Theresa Crapanzano

First-year graduate students attend services fair

Hundreds of first-year graduate students packed into the Smith Center auxiliary gym Aug. 19 to learn about GW services.

The annual Graduate Student Services Fair allows new graduate students to meet fellow students and learn about GW. Associate Registrar Helen Klepac said students asked about enrollment, received GWorld cards, and discovered the consortium of universities in D.C. She said students asked about specific services the registrar’s office provides.

“They’re asking about certification of enrollment,” she said.

Klepac said many graduate students need a certificate that proves enrollment in a higher-education facility to show federal, state and local governments. In addition, she said, students might need the certificate for insurance purposes.

Erin Robinson, an officer with the University Police Department, said students asked about the Rape Aggression Defense program and policies regarding non-tolerance for alcohol. He said many students requested safety literature.

“The majority (of students) are asking about the shuttle program,” Robinson said.

Other stations at the fair included representatives from different religious groups on campus and the Student Association.

-Steven Postal