GW showers students with Welcome Week `freebies’

GW student Evelyn Michaels said she was taking advantage of the “freebies” the University is offering as part of Welcome Week.

“Free food is good,” Michaels said.

Many campus organizations and services are using Welcome Week as an opportunity to acclimate students to campus life and offerings.

“Every year there’s a basic chore – to give all students things to do to get back to into the mix and start on a good foot,” said Ian Zeitzer, coordinator for Welcome Week.

Throughout the week, dozens of activities and opportunities for students, including incoming freshmen, returning upperclassmen and graduate students will appear.

Festivities began Friday at the Marvin Center, where about 550 students attending the last session of Colonial Inauguration had the opportunity to take a tour of the neighborhood, have a free dinner and receive coupons for free treats at Au Bon Pain that night.

“For freshmen, it’s a good opportunity to meet the members of their small group, especially CIs one through four,” said Greg Ladislau, 1999 CI cabinet member. “Those in CI five are continuing friendships. For returning students, it’s a time to meet up with friends one hasn’t seen all summer and not just get thrown back into class.”

The rest of the week includes free AMC movie tickets, a night of free food at Xando and various goodies from GW organizations. Fall Fest will round out the week’s activities and will include free food, games and entertainment.

The Movie on the Quad and Comedy Night have been synonymous with Welcome Week for years, and this year is no different. To maintain the shagadellic theme, the University showed Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery Sunday night. Harland Williams is the featured comedian Monday night.

The University will offer graduates a barbecue and a repeat showing of Austin Powers on the Quad for those who missed the earlier showing.

Many organizations are participating in demonstrations and fairs for students throughout the week.

Colonial Computers held a demonstration Sunday to showcase the latest computer technology. University Police will sponsor a Rape Aggression Defense Demonstration Monday. The D.C. Activism Fair will take place Tuesday at the Marvin Center, and students can learn about organizations specific to GW Wednesday.

Tango in Tel Aviv, Swing Night with the Jitterbugs and a pool party at Mount Vernon College will continue the week’s festivities.

The College Republicans, College Democrats and Hillel are holding welcome back barbecues.

Students who wish to venture out of the District can take a cruise aboard the Odyssey or a shopping trip to Potomac Mills.