GW puts alcohol laws to use

GW administrators will use federal legislation to contact the parents of students who commit severe alcohol violations, Senior Assistant Dean of Students Mike Walker said.

In the wake of creating an official policy about when to notify parents, administrators made one phone call to the parents of an incoming freshman who was hospitalized during Colonial Inauguration, Walker said. GW administrators also called parents of students who committed severe violations last spring when the federal legislation permitting universities and colleges to notify guardians about alcohol violations was first implemented.

The Alcohol Task Force, which was created last year to examine GW’s alcohol policies, suggested the parental notification rule, and the rest of the University adopted it.

Student Judicial Services defines a “severe violation” as an instance when a student who is under the influence of alcohol “vomits and/or exhibits incoherence, is unconscious, needs or receives medical attention, loses bodily control or exhibits memory loss.” Administrators also will deem a violation severe if the student has acquired minor violations in the past or seems to abuse alcohol regularly.

Administrators said the new legislation is meant to benefit students.

“The parental notification rule is not intended to be punitive,” Substance Abuse Prevention Center Manager Candace Miller wrote in a University press release. “The idea is that we need a team approach to help students in trouble.”

Walker said the University merely informs parents and guardians that their children committed violations. Any further communication about judicial procedures or health concerns is the responsibility of the child and parent.

“GW wants to balance this new law with the belief that the student is an adult,” Walker said.

In addition to the policies about parental notification, the Alcohol Task Force made recommendations to curb the use of alcohol on campus. Members suggested that University administrators and student leaders form the Alcohol Advisory Committee, now that the task force has disbanded, to examine alcohol-related issues as they arise.

Among the recommendations is that GW students participate in a Southern Illinois University survey to assess the level of alcohol use on campus.

In addition, other parts of the community are helping to alleviate the presence of alcohol on campus, Walker said. The Coffeehouse Series and other alternative programs are offered to combat the problem, he said.

Students have also shown interest in being part of the solution, said Matthew Patashnick, office assistant in SAPC and Student Peer Initiative Resource Intervention Team member. Patashnick said SPIRIT and SAPC seek to educate students about alcohol and drug use and abuse.

Patashnick also works with “Time Out,” a student-led discussion group for students who commit minor alcohol violations.

He said GW is far from having a serious alcohol problem but said students need to get the message about taking responsibility for their habits.

Walker agreed and said the University is doing its best.

“We’re fighting this problem,” Walker said. “We know we’ve been lucky.”University Alcohol Violations

First Offense
Minor
“Time Out”
$25 fine

Serious <br>”Educated Choices”
$50 fine

Severe
“Last Call”
Facilitator Team
$100 fine
Deferred Cancellation of Residence Hall License Agreement

Second Offense
Minor
“Educated Choices”
$50 fine

Serious
“Last Call”
Facilitator Team
$100 fine
Cancellation of Residence Hall License Agreement

SevereCertified Addictions Counselor Assessment
$100 fine

Third Offense
Minor
“Last Call” Facilitator Team
$100 fine

Serious
Certified Addictions Counselor Assessment
Suspension

Severe
Suspension/Expulsion

Source: GW Student Judicial Services