GW bids farewell to Ronald W. Howard

Ronald W. Howard, 65, a resident of Arlington, Va. and a long-time administrator at GW, died of cancer Aug. 19, at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. For more than 35 years, Howard touched the lives of thousands of GW students, faculty and colleagues. In tribute to his concern and care for students, friends of Howard established the Ronald W. Howard Student Assistance Fund to provide special support for students in need in 1997.

Howard served as director of the Alumni Admissions Program and was previously director of Alumni Relations. The University awarded Howard with the President’s Medal in recognition of his dedication, loyalty and commitment to GW March 30. The President’s Medal is the highest honor a GW president can bestow. Howard was the only administrative official to ever receive this honor. Other recipients have included world leaders and public figures such as Vaclav Havel, Shimon Peres, Victor Borge and Walter Cronkite.

Howard was a native of Indiana. He attended Hammond High School and graduated from Central College, Pella, Iowa. He also did graduate work at the University of Iowa. He is survived by his brother Donald K. Howard of Hoffman Estates, Ill., a sister-in-law, Ruth, two nephews, Jeffrey and Brent Howard and aunts and cousins.

-University Relations

Excerpts from April 5, 1999 in The GW Hatchet

“If there is anybody who epitomizes the essence of GW, it is Ron. For the numbers of hours he has unselfishly given, for the number of lives he has touched positively, he is truly a rare commodity.”

-Kathryn Napper, director of Undergraduate Admissions

“He has friends everywhere. And he would be ready to assist any of them at the drop of a hat.”

-Marie Steeves, director of Alumni Benefits and Services

“He has the biggest heart. If you have anything to do with the University, Ron knows and cares for you.”-Carrie Potter, former Student Association president