Sports Briefs

New assistant soccer coach named

Jake Ouimet was named assistant coach of the men’s soccer team, head coach George Lidster announced May 28.

Ouimet replaced eight-year assistant John McNamara and will assist Lidster with on-the-field coaching in addition to recruiting.

“Jake is keen to begin a college coaching career, and his experience as a very successful player at both the collegiate and professional levels, coupled with his strong business background, should serve us well,” Lidster said in a release.

Ouimet joins the program after working as a customer service representative for sporting goods manufacturer Kappa USA since 1998.

Before that Ouimet was a star from 1992-1996 at the University of Maine, where he set school records in career goals (36), career points (86), goals in a season (14 in 1992) and points in a season (30 in 1992).

The jump to coaching collegiate soccer is a big one for Ouimet as the highest level he has coached previously was a high school boys’ varsity team – he was an assistant at W.T. Woodson H.S. in Fairfax, Va., in 1997. He has also played professional soccer with the Worcester Wildfire and the Cape Cod Crusaders.

GW takes fourth in Commissioner’s Cup

GW’s athletic program finished fourth in the Hanes-Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Cup, which measures the strength of the athletic programs in the conference.

Virginia Tech won the cup with a total of 165.5 points, while GW finished with 113 points. Massachusetts came in second with 155 points, and Rhode Island finished third with 122.5 points. Tech earned the award by winning two regular season titles and seven tournament titles in 1998-’99.

GW won the West Division regular season title in men’s basketball and the women’s gymnastics team won the A-10 Tournament at the end of its season.

Two seniors make A-10 first team

GW baseball players Joe Beichert and Mike Roberts were named to the Atlantic 10 All-Conference first team in a vote by the league’s head coaches.

Beichert broke several records in his senior season at GW while leading the league in home runs (23) and RBIs (77) and carrying a .349 batting average. The first baseman set new school records in career home runs (50), single season home runs, career RBIs (171) and single season RBIs.

Roberts also moved his way up GW’s record book as a senior. The second baseman hit .308 for the season as the Colonials’ lead-off hitter, but hit .380 in A-10 games to lead the team. He is second on GW’s all-time list for career hits (210) and third for career at bats (675) and runs (163).

Junior Ryan Dacey made the second team for the second straight year. He led the Colonials in hitting with a .371 batting average while notching GW records for career doubles (49), season doubles (22) and single season at bats (224). Dacey was also named the team’s most valuable player.

Rower earns academic honor

Senior Anne McDonough of the GW women’s crew team was named to an academic team composed of students in mid-Atlantic states by a group of college sports information directors.

McDonough earned a place on the 1999 GTE Academic All-America District II University Division Women’s Spring At-Large first team by maintaining a 4.0 grade point average as a marketing major.

McDonough rowed for the Colonial women’s varsity eight boat and helped her team earn silver medals at the Atlantic 10 meet in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

-Dustin Gouker