News Briefs

Class of 1999 to dedicate senior gift

GW’s senior class and GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg will dedicate an old English phone booth as the senior class’s gift May 14.

The phone booth will be located at the corner of 22nd and G streets at Veteran’s Park, according to a University press release.

More than 220 graduating seniors donated about $3,500 to purchase the gift. Seniors donating money voted for the phone booth. Other gift ideas included a kiosk, a bench and a tree.

Trachtenberg and former Student Association President Carrie Potter will speak at the dedication ceremony.

-Steven Postal

GW closes mid-campus quad

The mid-campus quad area from Trustee’s Gate south to Monroe Hall and Hall of Government and east to Professors’ Gate will be closed to traffic until Aug. 1.

The quad area will be closed because of renovations, which include new landscaping, placement of graduate brick pavers, pre-cast gateways, a fountain and relocation of the outdoor classroom.

The construction area has been fenced “for the safety of the University community,” according to a press release.

-Theresa Crapanzano

GW Virginia campus to host Jazz Weekend

The GW Virginia Campus will host a Jazz Weekend entitled “Loudoun Is All That Jazz – A Jazz Weekend in Loudoun County.”

The jazz program, which is being coordinated by Shenandoah University, Loudoun County Public Schools, Loudoun Tourism Council, Lansdowne Resort, Basin Street Jazz Club and Loudoun Arts Council, will be launched with a “Jazz Jam Session” Friday night. The session will feature the GW Faculty Jazz Quintet, the Shenandoah Conservatory Faculty Jazz Septet and Loudoun All-Country High School Jazz Ensemble.

Other events include an evening at the Basin Street Jazz Club and a Jazz Brunch.

-Theresa Crapanzano