Students set to relieve stress at Chalk-In

The University Counseling Center will invite students to pick up a piece of chalk and get creative at its annual Chalk-In Tuesday.

Students hoping to release stress from finals, gain recognition for their student group or simply express themselves will be able to decorate all of H Street with chalk, said Bob Wilson, assistant director of educational services for the center.

Non-artistic students should not shy away from the chalk extravaganza, Wilson said.

“It’s nothing about art,” he said. “It’s about anything. Your expression is going to be accepted.”

Chalk-In organizers will block off H Street in front of Gelman Library, as they have for the past 19 years, for the end of the year celebration. GW’s rhythm and blues band, led by the music department’s Peter Fraise, will perform. Dining Services will provide lemonade for students.

“It’s been an important part of what GW is about,” Wilson said, noting the University always gains local television and press coverage for the event. Wilson said the Chalk-In is the only promotional event the Counseling Center runs.

This year, the Counseling Center has involved the exercise science program by including a tai chi performance, which students can participate in or merely observe, Wilson said.

“We provide a great way for students to deal with feelings of stress, anger and even with the excitement that school’s almost over,” Wilson said.

H Street will be transformed into a “multicultural avenue of diverse expression,” he said.

Student groups expected to attend the event include the art therapy department, the Student Activities Center and the Multicultural Student Center. He said the best part of Tuesday will be the diverse group of participants.