News Briefs

UPD reports decrease in crime

University Police released 1998 campus crime statistics this week, in accordance with the Student Right to Know Act.

All but one category of reportable crimes have decreased since 1997. The one weapon violation reported this year marks an increase from 1997, but UPD reports significant decreases in property crimes and larceny, according to the statistics.

Following the national trend toward decreased crime rates, the University has experienced a 48 percent decrease in property crimes from 1996, including a 17 percent change from 1997.

UPD Director Dolores Stafford attributes the drastic drops in property theft to University educational programs such as the “Rip-off card” program, work by community facilitators and the posting of public advisories and student responsibilities.

“I think students are doing a much better job locking their doors when they leave their rooms and not leaving their possessions unattended,” Stafford said.

Stafford said of the 575 reports of property theft around campus, 50 occurred in the University’s hospital, 88 occurred in residence halls and 460 were a result of property left unattended.

Stafford said she is pleased with the continuous drop in robberies and burglaries between 1996 and 1998.

The University’s crime statistics are separated into four categories – campus, off campus, public property and residence – to comply with new legislation that takes effect in 1999.

-Russ Rizzo

GW announces makeup class days

GW has scheduled April 29 as a makeup day for classes that were canceled earlier this semester because of a snow storm.

Classes regularly scheduled for Wednesday, March 10 before 10 a.m. are rescheduled for 8 to 11 a.m. April 29. Classes regularly scheduled for Tuesday, March 9 after 3 p.m. are rescheduled between 3 and 10 p.m. April 29.

All rescheduled classes will meet in regularly assigned rooms.

Poland’s foreign minister to speak at GW

Poland’s foreign minister, Bronislaw Geremek, will speak in the Marvin Center ballroom Thursday from noon to 2 p.m., according to a University press release.

Geremek will be the guest speaker in “The Democratic Invention” lecture series. The series “explores the nature and prospects of democracy in the world today,” according to the press release.

Geremek’s lecture is titled “Transition, Democracy and Prosperity: Central Europe at the Edge of the 21st Century.”

He became a Solidarity activist and led the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Geremek was appointed Poland’s foreign minister after the 1997 election. A historian, Geremek chaired the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Polish Parliament before his appointment.

The lecture series is sponsored by the National Endowment for Democracy’s International Forum for Democratic Studies, the Mario Soares Foundation and the Luso-American Development Foundation.

Reservations are required for the lecture and luncheon. For more information call Jim Hess or Jessica Carlson at 994-7129.

-Steven Postal

MCGB re-elects Petron as chair

Mike Petron will serve as Marvin Center Governing Board chair for a second year after the group nominated and elected him Friday.

Petron said he wants to ensure the University will communicate with students about the Marvin Center renovations. He said MCGB will be the “middle man” between students and administrators. Petron said students have the right to know when renovations will be completed in their student union.

He said his MCGB colleagues need to look to the future.

“There’s nothing more to change in the Marvin Center,” Petron said. “Now, we have to ask, `Are things going smoothly?'”

MCGB elected Peter Frost as vice chair. Others elected for positions on the board include Tony Sayegh, Matt O’Malley, Andrew Malowitz and Alicia O’Neil.

-Francesca Di Meglio

Bob Dole to speak at National Press Club

Former Sen. Bob Dole (R-Kan.), who spoke at last year’s Commencement ceremony, will sit down for a one-on-one interview for a PBS show at the National Press Club Monday.

Dole, who served as Senate majority leader before running unsuccessfully for president in 1996, will discuss Kosovo with Dennis Wholey, host of “This Is America.” GW students will have the opportunity to ask questions.

The event, which is open to all GW students, will begin at 8 p.m. at NPC, located at 14th and F streets. Tickets can be requested by contacting the School of Media and Public Affairs office at [email protected].-Matt Berger