G. Love and Run DMC to perform in Georgetown

G. Love and Special Sauce opened its 1994 self-titled album with the line “The things that I used to do, ain’t never gonna do them no more.” Five years later, G. Love has failed to live up to his word.

G. Love and Special Sauce has released two subsequent albums and toured relentlessly. But it’s a failure few music aficionados would complain about. G. Love will break his promise again Friday, taking the stage at Georgetown’s McDonough Arena with rap legend Run DMC.

Playing what G. Love dubbed “Philadelfonic-Street-Side-Blues,” the group delivers a unique street-smart sound, blending the rhythms of folk, blues and hip-hop into a singular musical concoction that is both smooth and funky.

“My songs are about shooting hoops, hanging out in the street, drinking a beverage . that’s reflective of my life – which is what the blues are supposed to be,” G. Love said during a previous interview. Citing influences such as Bob Dylan, John Hammond Jr., John Lee Hooker and Bob Marley, G. Love credits his hometown Philadelphia and Boston, the city where the sound of G. Love and Special Sauce was born and nurtured, for his diverse sounds.

The now mature G. Love and Special Sauce also affirms the importance of hip-hop to its own music, as well as to the wider contemporary music scene. G. Love said hip-hop is “the music of our generation.” So it is fitting that G. Love and Special Sauce share the stage with an indisputable legend in the hip-hop world, Run DMC.

Run DMC, hailing from the hip-hop hotbed of Queens, New York, is what people mean when they talk about the “old school.” One of the most influential and celebrated rap groups of all time, Run DMC has been credited as a major force in rap’s movement into the spotlight of the mainstream music scene.

The group has racked up a long list of firsts. Run DMC was the first rap group to produce gold and then multi-platinum albums, the first rap group to have a video on MTV, the first rap group to appear on “Saturday Night Live,” and the first rap group to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone.

The group, which consists of childhood friends Run, DMC and Jam Master Jay, garnered fame for rap classics such as “My Adidas” and “Walk This Way.” The group’s work set an early standard of style and hard work for the rap industry that still is visible. Run DMC has been touring for years and is working on a new album, titled Crown Royal, as well as an autobiographical film.

The two groups will bring a wide variety of genres to the stage. With their unique styles and sounds, G. Love and Special Sauce, and Run DMC promise to give an interesting concert.

G. Love and Special Sauce and Run DMC will perform at Georgetown’s McDonough Arena Friday. General admission tickets cost $25.