Fest on Quad shares tips on consumerism

The Sports Illustrated Campus Fest transformed the Quad into a consumers’ wonderland Thursday and Friday, offering about 3,500 students promotional products, prizes and games.

photo

In its second year at GW, the fest’s goal was to educate students about consumerism and help them make better purchasing decisions, said Barry Dorsey, co-manager of the event.

“Many of the students here are making decisions for the first time about purchases,” Dorsey said. “Hopefully this event will create awareness.”

The two-day event included booths from Pantene Pro-V, Citibank, Nokia, 1-800-COLLECT, Listerine and Nintendo.

“This is the largest traveling interactive tour to college campuses,” said Student Association President Carrie Potter. “Students enjoy playing the games and it breaks the stress of finals’ time, and gives them a chance to win some cool stuff.”

Potter, who organized and sponsored the event through the SA, said the most popular booths included the Pantene Pro-V booth, which offered free massages and facials.

The Citibank “joust” allowed students to knock friends off a platform with a lance to win a prize. Another favorite booth among sports buffs challenged participants to a 30-second basketball shoot-out.

Workers also distributed free magazines to promote a new Sports Illustrated women’s magazine.