Taking a (keg) stand – Staff editorial

The University has taken a strong stand on alcohol policy violations committed by Greek-letter organizations on campus: Follow the rules or face suspension. Administrators should be commended for drawing the line on a matter that has rapidly gotten out of hand.

Mike Gargano, assistant vice president for Student and Academic Support Services, sent a memo to Interfraternity Council members stating that Greek-letter groups must adhere to all University alcohol policies and procedures. If they don’t, all University-recognized Greek-letter groups will face suspension of their events for the rest of the semester. Gargano’s decision stems from the acknowledgment by members of the Greek-letter community that common-source containers – kegs, punch bowls, etc. – are fixtures at parties, a direct violation of University policy.

The University has the right, in fact the duty, to enforce a sensible alcohol policy regarding Greek-letter events, and all other student events, for that matter. Whether students like it or not, the University must set and then uphold a standard of conduct.

The number of students treated this year for alcohol-related illnesses has reached epic proportions. And the trend is especially serious given the number of alcohol-related deaths and injuries around the country in the past year.

GW is wisely enforcing its rules to prevent this campus from landing in the national spotlight because of an alcohol-related death or serious injury. Students still will drink at Greek-letter events, that much is certain. But the absence of kegs and other common-source containers reduces the risk of tragedy.