Sports Briefs

Women’s tennis wins one of three

Temple easily defeated the GW women’s tennis team this week, but the Colonial women were coming off a solid win against Rutgers University and a close loss to West Virginia University over the weekend.

Temple defeated GW 8-1 Tuesday at GW’s Mount Vernon campus. Holly Huntley posted the only victory for the Colonial women at No. 3, 6-1, 6-0.

“She’s just been playing beautifully for the last five matches,” GW head coach Jeanne Gengler said.

The loss came after GW’s biggest win of the season, a 5-4 victory over Rutgers at West Virginia’s campus April 10. GW swept the second, third and fourth singles positions, with Ghada Skaff, Huntley and Katarina Stastny all cruising to straight-set wins.

“Rutgers has always been a strong program,” Gengler said. “We knew we could be competitive with them, but it was just a great match for us to win.”

The match was tied at four with the final doubles match still on the court. GW’s No. 2 doubles team of Sarine Weingarten and Skaff trailed 7-2 in a pro-set format but came back to win, 9-8.

“Rutgers just relaxed for a bit, and they (Weingarten and Skaff) picked up their games,” Gengler said.

The day before, the Colonial women lost at West Virginia 5-4. Laurel Lebby won at No. 6 by default, but Stastny, a freshman, recorded GW’s only earned singles victory. She outlasted Shannon Price, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

“As a freshman, she was very poised throughout that whole match,” Gengler said. “To be able to play an emotional player like Shannon and come out the winner was amazing.”

-Dustin Gouker

Men’s tennis team splits pair

The GW men’s tennis team won 6-1 at St. Bonaventure April 10 while falling 6-1 at American University April 8.

The Colonials cruised against the Bonnies, winning eight of nine matches. In singles, No. 1 Anders Bergkvist won 7-5, 6-1, No. 3 Kevin Wright took his match 6-2, 6-2, and Kinzie Wright earned a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 4. Fifth-seeded Mike Stein won 6-0, 6-0, while No. 6 Jonathan Davidson also blanked his opponent, 6-0, 6-0. The Colonials earned three doubles victories as No. 1 Bergkvist and Davidson, No. 2 Stein and Kevin Wright, and No. 3 Nick Vikstrom and Kinzie Wright all won.

Against American, Bergkvist recorded GW’s lone win of the match, beating Mark Sibilla in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1. Kevin Wright was the only GW player to take his match to three sets, falling 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6) to the Eagles’ Jason Moon.

-Rich Murphy