Freshmen to host Thurston Block Party

A five-story Ferris wheel, a moon bounce, free food and live music will highlight the Thurston Block Party Sunday.

Organizers of the event said the block party in front of Thurston Hall is open to all students, but it is an especially important event for freshmen.

“This is the only event freshmen have for themselves,” said Julie Radocchia, public relations coordinator for the block party. “It’s open to everyone, but it’s run by freshmen. It’s a time to show the GW community what (freshmen) can do.”

John Fohr, a block party coordinator, said he feels the event will help resurrect some traditions on campus.

“This event is going to start a tradition that has been lost in the past,” Fohr said. “This will help show that GW is not some place to just get a degree, but truly a traditional collegiate experience.”

Radocchia said the event has a carnival theme. The party will have a dunk booth, other carnival games and a clown, in addition to the Ferris wheel and moon bounce.

“One of the best things is the rides,” Radocchia said. “How often do you get to go on a Ferris wheel or act like a kid and jump around on the moon bounce?”

Radocchia said community facilitators, community directors and Student Association President-elect Phil Meisner are among the people who will be in the dunk booth. Five different bands, including Days, Mud Cat Jones and DJ Vic will provide live music.

The organizers said another highlight of the block party is its community service element. The block party will feature a booth to promote AIDS awareness and a booth sponsored by the American Red Cross.

“We want to give something back to the community,” Radocchia said. “It’s about raising awareness as well as having fun.”

Radocchia said she and the other organizers hope many people will take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon at the block party.

“It’s a free, fun event. It’s a time to relax right before finals, and it doesn’t cost anyone who goes a cent,” Radocchia said.