Colonials lose twice but blow out UMBC

The GW baseball team registered one blowout victory this week over the University of Maryland-Baltimore County but lost close games to the U.S. Naval Academy and Temple.

The Colonials fell 16-12 to Navy Wednesday afternoon at Barcroft Park. GW led 8-2 when starter Chris Worth left the game, but the Midshipmen scored 10 unanswered runs to take a 12-8 lead en route to the win.

“Our bullpen hasn’t been strong,” GW head coach Tom Walter said. “Our starting pitching every time out has given us a good game, but sometimes the rest of the pitching and our defense haven’t been there.”

The Colonials (20-17) play a three-game series at Dayton this weekend.

GW 21, UMBC 8

The Colonials scored 16 runs in the first three innings to win at the Retreivers’ Alumni Field Tuesday.

GW forged a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning, but starter Mike O’Connor gave up three first-inning runs. The Colonials stormed back with seven runs in the second and five runs in the third to cruise to the victory.

Matt Krimmel and Eric Mitchell led a potent Colonial offensive attack with five hits apiece as GW pounded out 28 hits in the game. Ryan Dacey and Mike Bassett both had four hits and five runs scored, while Joe Beichert led all Colonials with five RBIs.

Temple 3, GW 2

Temple broke through GW’s pitching for three runs in the fourth inning and that was all the Owls needed to defeat GW Monday at Erny Field in Philadelphia.

Colonial starter Tom Baginski (3-3) held Temple (14-16-1) scoreless over the other seven innings and struck out eight batters, but his team scored just two runs in support.

“I thought we were a better club,” Walter said. “When you have a conference series against a team like that, you should win at least two.”

Ryan Dacey had two of GW’s four hits in the game.