University awards six fellowships

The Student Activities Center announced the 10th annual class of Presidential Administrative Fellows last week, praising winners for their academic achievement and community service.

Seniors Liz Allen, Bhoomi Brahmbhatt, Samantha Byrd, Jonathan Nurse, Carrie Potter and Alyson Rappaport were selected from 41 applicants for the PAF program this year, said Peter Konwerski, assistant director of student activities.

President Stephen Joel Tractenberg initiated the PAF program a decade ago to retain top graduating seniors to provide service to their alma mater in return for enhanced employment opportunities.

PAFs receive free GW graduate school tuition, an $800-a-month living stipend and free housing in Building JJ in exchange for 20 hours a week of work in a University administrative office.

“We were looking for students who would best represent the outstanding reputation of GW,” Konwerski said. “This year’s winners are well-rounded and I’m sure they will continue to give back to the GW community as graduates what they gave as undergraduates.”

“I’m so excited to stay at GW next year,” said Nurse, a political science major. “The chance to gain some solid professional experience here will be great.”

Rappaport, an international business major, said she hopes to complete a master’s in marketing in the School of Business and Public Management.

Brahmbhatt said she anticipates doing her degree work in the School of Public Health and Human Services.

“Working as a team with the other PAFs will be exciting,” she said. “I know this experience will be an excellent opportunity to learn about a new field at a great school.”