Sports Briefs

Gymnasts compete in NCAAs

Devin McCalla and Darden Wilee of the GW gymnastics team took eighth and 11th respectively in the all-around competition at the 1999 NCAA Region 6 Gymnastics Championships at the West Virginia University Coliseum Saturday.

Out of the six gymnasts invited to compete only in the all-around, McCalla finished first with a score of 38.875 and Wilee took third with a 38.650. Robin Hawkins of the University of Alabama won the all-around competition with a score of 39.225.

McCalla was fairly consistent in the four events she competed in, while Wilee struggled a bit on the uneven parallel bars and the balance beam, and excelled in the floor exercise.

Incoming players compete in all-star game

Local high school players Chris Monroe and Val Brown, who will join the GW men’s basketball team next season, played together in the Capital Classic Thursday. Their team, the Capital All-Stars, defeated the U.S. All-Stars 111-100 at MCI Center.

Monroe scored 22 points in the game and was named the All-Stars’ most valuable player, while Brown scored four points and dished out four assists.

Monroe played a pivotal role in a huge comeback by the Capital team, which trailed 20-2 at the outset and was behind by as many as 24 points in the first half.-Dustin Gouker