Spring Dance Concert showcases guest and student works

GW’s Spring Dance Concert, to be performed Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre, will include the work of accredited guest artists and student choreographers.

“The concert has a lot of diversity but it also has a lot of depth,” said Maida Withers, the artistic director of the Spring Dance Concert.

Stacy Palatt directs the performance, her debut at GW. Although she has never performed here, she teaches dance at the University and at The School Without Walls. Palatt spent seven years as the assistant director of the Moving Forward Dance Company. She also has danced at numerous venues.

Miguel Angel Diaz and Claudia Vasquez Del Mercado, the artistic directors of Asaltodiario, a dance company founded in Mexico, choreographed a piece that students will perform in the show. Withers said the work by Diaz and Del Mercado brings a Latin feel to the concert. Withers said the dance, which is about male and female relationships, is highly dramatic.

A member of the GW Theatre and Dance department since 1995, Joseph Mills has been a part of numerous GW productions. Mills recently performed in the Smithsonian’s “Seeing Jazz Move” and worked as a guest artist for Dendy Dance and Theater at The Kennedy Center. In his performance in the Spring Dance Concert, Mills dances on a stage filled with plastic flamingos.

“Joseph Mills is a gorgeous performer. He’s beautiful to watch,” Withers said.

Kirstie Simson also choreographed a piece for the show. A native of England, she studied modern dance and ballet at the Laban Center in London. Withers said Simson’s piece is more light-hearted and playful than the work by Diaz and Del Mercado, but still is physical.

Seniors Alex Kalkines and Sarah Slifer, both Presidential Arts Scholars, choreographed pieces in the show.

“Both of these student choreographies this semester are beyond just beauty,” Withers said. “There’s substance in the choreography coupled with beautiful choreography.”

Tickets cost $10 for the general public and $8 for students and senior citizens. Tickets are available through TicketMaster or at the Marvin Center Box Office.