Sports Briefs

GW teams notch wins

The GW women’s tennis team registered a win this week, while the GW men split a pair of matches last week.

The women’s tennis team won at George Mason University 5-4 Wednesday afternoon for its third win in four matches.

“It was a very good test to see where we are,” GW head coach Jeanne Gengler said. “For us to come out and compete with them – it shows we’re solid.”

Sarine Weingarten lost at No. 1 singles, but GW took the second, third and fourth singles matches in addition to two of the three doubles matches to earn the win.

Ghada Skaff won 6-0, 6-2 at No. 2, Holly Huntley took the No. 3 match by a score of 6-1, 6-1, and Katarina Stastny won at No. 4, 6-2, 6-1.

The doubles team of Huntley and Stastny won 8-2 at No. 1, while Weingarten and Skaff won 8-5 at No. 2.

The men lost 7-0 at Hampton University April 3 but won at George Mason 5-1 March 31.

In the win, GW swept the last four singles matches and all three doubles matches. Kevin Wright, Mike Stein and Jonathan Davidson all won in three sets, while Kinzie Wright took a three-set match at No. 4.

Three swim in championships

Three GW swimmers competed at the National Swimming Championships March 28 to April 1 in Long Island, N.Y.

Tim Champney competed in four events, including a 17th place finish out of 45 swimmers in the 100-meter backstroke. He swam the event in :58.63 in the preliminary race, which qualified him for the bonus consolation final. He won that race by almost a full second with a time of :57.94.

The junior traveled directly from NCAA Championships to senior nationals to complete a busy week of competition.

“He was exhausted when he got to seniors,” GW head coach Dan Rhinehart said. “The more he stayed at the meet, the more rest he got.”

Champney took advantage of the fact that the 100-meter backstroke was held on the next-to-last day of the championships.

In the 200-meter freestyle, Champney finished in 54th place out of 61 while taking 50th out of 62 in the 50-meter freestyle. He also took 37th in the 200-meter backstroke.

Wes Teter also competed in the 100-meter backstroke, finishing 38th while taking 38th of 45 in the 100-meter freestyle.

Mike Cottone competed in both the 100- and 200-meter breaststrokes. He took 28th of 39 in the 200 and 45th of 49 in the 100.

Golf takes fourth, will compete in A-10s

The GW golf team took fourth place out of 13 teams in the Dayton Flyer Spring Invitational Monday in Kettering, Ohio, in its final tournament before the Atlantic 10 Championship.

GW finished the one-day event with a score of 308 (24-over), 10 strokes behind the champion, Xavier (14-over).

Bryan Derdenger finished in a tie for third with a 73 (2-over), while Gavin Parsons tied for seventh with a 75 (4-over).

Tim Blankvoort, who did not play at Dayton, earned the A-10 Rookie of the Week award by taking 10th place out of 90 golfers at the College of William & Mary Kiskiack Invitational last week.

GW will compete in the A-10 Championship at the Southpointe Golf Club in Canonsburg, Pa., April 9-11. Last season, GW finished ninth out of the 11 teams at the championship, 73 strokes behind A-10 Champion Xavier.

Mescheriakov, Rogers to play for NBA scouts

GW men’s basketball seniors Shawnta Rogers and Yegor Mescheriakov will participate in the Seventh Annual Nike Desert Classic April 13-17 at Arizona State University in Tempe, Ariz.

The classic is a camp slated to host about 50 top collegiate prospects who will be eligible for the 1999 NBA draft. It is a chance for NBA scouts and player personnel managers to look at possible draftees.

The players at the camp will be divided into four teams, which will compete against each other, Mescheriakov said. The camp is one of the few chances players have to impress scouts before the draft.

“It wouldn’t be healthy if I wouldn’t be nervous (about the draft),” Mescheriakov said. “It’s what I’ve been working for all these years, and I don’t want to blow it.”

-Dustin Gouker