New RHA officers plan to enhance services

Residence Hall Association members elected Alan Elias president of the organization Monday for the 1999-2000 academic year.

The RHA also added vice president and publicity chair positions to its executive board for the coming year.

Previously, the RHA executive board had only programming and community service vice presidents.

“The vice president will serve as a jack of all trades, who will do everything,” RHA President Justin Lavella said. “Besides the president, no one else in the organization has intimate knowledge of what is going on. The vice president will hopefully take on a role interested in administrative policy.”

The publicity chair also was added to alleviate the burden of public relations from other officers, Lavella said.

The new officers said they are enthusiastic about the future of RHA, and are anxious to improve various aspects of the group.

“The RHA needs to get out to the students,” Elias said. “The students need to know that (the RHA) will advocate for their interests. It is our goal for students to know who we are and what we do.”

In addition, incoming board members said they want to work for GW and the D.C. community at large.

“We plan to focus on the community – not only GW but the Foggy Bottom community,” said Community Service Chair-elect Kelly Snyder.

Publicity Chair-elect Peter Bastone said RHA must send a distinct message to the campus and community.

“We need to spread the word of the RHA to the community, to outside establishments,” Bastone said.

Incoming RHA board members said they plan to improve the housing lottery, involve students in community service, reach out to Mount Vernon campus students and improve campus security.

Lavella said he hopes next year’s executive board continues the work accomplished this year.

“The RHA now is definitely a different organization than when I was elected president,” Lavella said. “Now, the RHA is more proactive and more outreach oriented.”

In other RHA races, Noel Frame was elected vice president, Maureen Benitz was elected programming chair, and Laura Shane, David Kersh and John Fohr ran unopposed for the offices of secretary, treasurer and national communications coordinator, respectively.