New Judicial Services manager hopes to involve students

New Student Judicial Services Manager David Pine said he plans to educate students about their involvement in University judicial matters and student conduct issues.

photo

“I want to create a level playing field,” said Pine, who started Monday. “I want students to be aware of policy arrangements and the rights they are entitled to.”

Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Linda Donnels said she is enthusiastic about Pine’s arrival.

“We’re very lucky to have him,” Donnels said. “It’s not an easy job.”

Pine worked in the Community Living and Learning Center in the fall of 1997, but left after the one semester to pursue other goals. He is optimistic about his return to GW.

“I’m looking forward to working with the staff,” Pine said.

Donnels said she is confident Pine will adjust quickly, noting his previous experience in college judicial services.

“He knows what it’s like,” Donnels said. “That was appealing to us.”

Pine has served as assistant dean of students at Radford University in Virginia, judicial coordinator and hall director at Savannah College of Art and Design, and worked at the University of Tennessee.

Pine also holds a master’s degree in criminal justice and a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

Pine will focus on interpreting the Code of Student Conduct and determining how the University should follow it, Donnels said.

“The position mainly oversees the coordination of judicial procedures, University hearing boards and conferences,” Pine said.

He said he also will be involved in Greek-letter organization judicial matters.