Jammin’ GW – Staff editorial

This year’s Spring Fling, scheduled for April 24, will not feature any big-name bands. Instead, for the first time in its 10-year history, Spring Fling will showcase several student bands. Program Board members say the group’s $45,000 loss on the Blues Traveler concert last semester did not influence the decision. It is hard to imagine the loss played no role in the decision to nix a major band from the Spring Fling schedule. But at least some good will arise from PB’s budgeting woes – namely, student bands will get a stage all to themselves.

In past years, student bands have opened for the headliners at Spring Fling. This year, different student bands will open, headline and close the show. This venue will provide a visible stage for bands that normally might have problems finding a place to show off their talents. If this year’s student-led Spring Fling is a success, perhaps student bands will be featured at more on-campus events.

PB’s new format presents student bands a great opportunity to make a name for themselves on campus. It is up to them to put on a good show.

PB is making the best of a poor situation. PB came up $45,000 short the last time it put on a large-scale event. Since it needs to stay within budget, a Spring Fling that features student bands is a good way to mold an entertaining event from a bad financial situation.