IFC votes to expand fraternity system

The Interfraternity Council unanimously voted March 8 to bring a Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter to campus this fall, newly installed IFC President Seth Greenberg said.

Greenberg said Sigma Phi Epsilon has a strong national organization, and the fraternity’s “Balanced Man Project” is one of its strengths.

“(The Balanced Man Project) is basically their four-year development program, which they believe takes a young college man from the time he begins college until the time he graduates,” Greenberg said. “Every year, depending upon what his needs are, it helps him to meet those needs.”

Greenberg said Sigma Phi Epsilon will hold rush after the IFC’s official fall rush. He said representatives of Sigma Phi Epsilon will promote and supervise the fraternity until it receives a charter.

Greenberg was installed Tuesday night as IFC president along with other members of the new IFC executive board. Greenberg succeeds Neil Smith as the IFC’s leader.

“I think Neil has brought the IFC back to a level where it’s respected a great deal and has laid a great foundation to jump off of and take on more projects,” Greenberg said.

Smith said he enjoyed his tenure as IFC president and said the biggest success was 1998 fall rush. He said last fall was the first time the IFC executive board had its rush patrol.

“It set the pace for a move toward self-governance,” said Smith, who added that complete self-governance will take a long time to develop.

Newly installed IFC Executive Vice President Dan Chapple said he also envisions self-governance in the future. He said research shows expansion of one fraternity benefits the entire Greek-letter system.

“The biggest struggle that’s been faced is getting fraternities to accept the IFC as an active component of Greek life,” Chapple said.

Smith said the newly installed IFC must ensure GW fraternities follow rules by “holding each other accountable.” Greenberg said he wants to continue promoting the Greek-letter system within the greater GW community.

“The IFC isn’t looked at as an enemy,” Greenberg said. “It’s looked at as a friend because the IFC is there for fraternities on campus.”