Sports Briefs

Moorehead promoted to head volleyball coach

Yvette Moorehead was named head coach of the GW women’s volleyball team Friday.

Moorehead, who became GW’s assistant coach in July 1998, replaces former head coach Susie Homan. She resigned in January after nine seasons as head coach.-Dustin Gouker

Two gymnasts reach NCAAs

Although the entire GW gymnastics team failed to make the NCAA Regional Championships, the team will be represented at the regionals by sophomore Darden Wilee and freshman Devin McCalla in the all-around competition April 10 at West Virginia University.

Wilee was the 1998 Atlantic 10 Most Outstanding Rookie Performer, while McCalla received the 1999 A-10 Most Outstanding Rookie Performer award and was named to the A-10 All-Conference Team.

-Matthew Curry

Baseball players earn A-10 honors

Two GW baseball players were selected for weekly honors, the Atlantic 10 announced March 30.

Sophomore Adam Belicic received the A-10 Pitcher of the Week award for the second time this season. He struck out nine batters and allowed just two earned runs in six innings in a win against Virginia Tech March 27.

Sophomore Dan Rouhier earned the A-10 Player of the Week award for going 8-for-15 in four games. He hit a home run in each of GW’s wins over the Hokies.

-Dustin Gouker

Women’s tennis wins, men fall twice

The GW women’s tennis team won at Mount Saint Mary’s College 8-1 March 27, while the men’s tennis team lost to West Virginia University 6-1 and Duquesne 5-2 March 26 and 27 at Montclair Country Club.

The women won all of their singles matches, with Sarine Weingarten, Ghada Skaff, Holly Huntley, Katarina Stastny, Megan Goldsmith and Lisa Borromeo posting victories over the Mount. The only point GW lost was a default at No. 3 doubles.

Against West Virginia, Mike Stein won GW’s only singles match at No. 6, defeating James Sampson 6-2, 6-0. The No. 3 doubles team of Kinzie Wright and Nick Vikstrom won one of the three doubles matches. Anders Bergkvist and Wright both earned singles wins for GW in the loss to Duquesne. Results from a match against George Mason University March 31 were unavailable.

-Dustin Gouker