GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

GW rows solidly in pair of meets in Massachusetts

The GW men’s and women’s crews both rowed in Massachusetts Saturday, where the women came away with a win and two second-place finishes.

In Boston, the women’s varsity eight boat took second to Boston University and finished ahead of the U.S. Naval Academy. GW finished in a time of 6:49.4, five seconds behind BU. The junior varsity eight race had the same order of finish, with GW finishing in 7:00.0, six seconds behind the Terriers. The women’s novice eight came in third.

GW’s varsity four led from start to finish and came through with GW’s only win of the weekend, beating a surging BU boat and Navy with a time of 7:58.4.

“Navy is in our region,” women’s crew head coach Steve Peterson said. “All of our crews beating Navy was kind of a big deal, and that was our main focus.”

GW’s crew, which is ranked 22nd in the nation, should move up with this weekend’s performance, Peterson said, and may be as high as second in its NCAA region.

“I’m pleasantly surprised with where we are,” said Peterson, who lost several seniors from a crew that made NCAAs last season. “For this time of year, I’m pretty psyched.”

The men’s crew rowed in Worcester, Mass. The varsity eight finished third behind Colby College and Wesleyan University. GW came across the line in 6:15.8, almost six seconds behind Colby and just eight-tenths of a second behind Wesleyan. The Colonials finished ahead of Massachusetts.

“Varsity had a really solid race,” men’s coach Erich Shuler said. “We just went out so fast, we couldn’t sustain it. Wesleyan was really big and with a little more gas we could have beaten them.”

The novice eight finished second out of three crews.