GW golf team finishes 11th out of 30 teams

The GW golf team finished 11th in a field of 30 in one of its biggest events of the year, the William & Mary Kiskiack Invitational, held March 29-30 in Williamsburg, Va.

James Madison University won the event with a score of 586 (10-over), followed by the University of Richmond with 593 (17-over). The Colonials came in 11th with a score of 613 (37-over).

All but five of the 30 schools in the event are in GW’s district, and the Colonials finished in eighth place out of those teams. On the first day, GW was only 4-over par for the first 14 holes. The team shot 12-over for the last four holes.

“I guess we lost to the teams we were supposed to lose to and took care of the teams we definitely could beat,” GW head coach Scott Allen said. “We’re back to shooting the kind of scores we did in the fall.”

Allen also said he was satisfied that the entire team placed ahead of St. John’s University, which finished in 13th place.

“St. John’s pummeled us at the Yale Invitational, and also at their own tournament, so beating them was really nice,” Allen said.

Freshman Thomas Blankvoort, who won the Atlantic 10’s Rookie of the Week award last week, had the highest finish for GW, tying for 10th out of a field of 150 golfers with an overall score of 147 (3-over). Blankvoort rolled in a 40-foot putt for an eagle on the last hole of the second day, which was only the Colonials’ fifth eagle of the year.

He was followed by Bryan Derdenger (154, tied for 46th), Bobby Barnett (155, tied for 51st), Gavin Parsons (158, tied for 74th) and Darren Ressler (165-115th).