The Bar Belle

Originally Published 04/01/99

Bar: Evens
Where: 2222 J Street
Crowd: Really nice people
Getting in: Strictly 21 year olds
Prices: Very reasonable
Food: delicious gourmet items
Dancing: Yes
Pick-ups: Only tactful ones
Pluses: Good-looking people, great music and tons of fun
Minuses: Absolutely nothing

Close to campus, Evens provides the best entertainment for a night of fun with friends. At this bar, there are no freshmen pretending to be 21 with fake IDs. There’s no line to get in and once inside, there is plenty of room to move. No one pukes in the bathrooms. In fact, after using the bathrooms, the Bar Belle noticed a faint scent of lilacs lingering on her clothes.

The music is a great combination of hits from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s. One bar-goer suggested a song for swing dancing and the DJ immediately played the request, and the dance floor became flooded with swing dancers. It was quite a scene. The dance floor is where most of the pick-ups occur, but the men aren’t pushy or obscene. Most resembled Abercrombie or J. Crew models and were complete gentlemen.

The food is delicious. The Bar Belle enjoyed some delicious vegetable dumplings with a succulent ginger dipping sauce, while her fellow friends chowed down on a fruit and cheese platter. The bar serves an assortment of wines and imported beers, as well as lip-smacking mixed drinks. The prices are reasonable. Two dollars will get you a large glass of what ever you fancy. The Bar Belle suggests the Cabernet Savignon or a vodka tonic. Both were smooth and tasty.

Evens is a perfect place to enjoy great music, meet great people, eat great food and have a great time. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted in a bar and more.