Woman reports assault in Mitchell Hall shower

Metropolitan Police are investigating a reported assault in a community bathroom in Mitchell Hall Thursday night.

A female student told police she was showering in the women’s bathroom on the eighth floor of Mitchell when an unknown individual turned off the lights and dropped a knife and two bricks over the wall into the shower stall, University Police Director Dolores Stafford said. The victim sustained minor abrasions, Stafford said.

“We’ve reviewed videotapes for the entrances and exits (of the building),” Stafford said. “It does not appear that someone accessed the building who was not supposed to be there.”

Stafford said it appears everyone who was in the residence hall at the time was a student or an employee of Mitchell. Mitchell’s hallways do not have video cameras.

Stafford also said the victim had previously filed reports to UPD about other incidents, but would not elaborate.

Residents of Mitchell Hall said they were uneasy Thursday night after the incident. Ray Zaccaro, who lives on the eighth floor, said he was disappointed UPD denied his request for extra security after the incident.

“A couple of people were expecting a stepped-up patrol, for the sake of feeling a presence,” Zaccaro said. “UPD was unwilling to do that.”

Zaccaro said his community facilitator briefed floor residents about the incident.

“People are frustrated and angry that something like this is so possible and easy to happen,” Zaccaro said. “It’s easy to know where everything is and how to get to people you want to get to. That’s an unsettling feeling.”

But Zaccaro said residents are not worried about a recurrence of the incident.

“Everybody feels that this was an isolated incident toward one person,” he said.

-Matt Berger