Talent show raises funds for D.C. charity

Friday night was “Showtime at Zeta’s Apollo,” a show for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. in the Marvin Center ballroom.

Proceeds from the event, co-sponsored by the Black Peoples’ Union and the GW chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, will be donated to “For the Love of the Children.” The charity is a nonprofit organization committed to helping children in the District through foster care, a tutorial program and an outdoor education program, sorority President Eliza Thompson said.

“As a community, we must make a commitment to invest in our future and our future lies in our children,” Thompson said.

Wil Diggs of Black Entertainment Television hosted the talent show, and representatives of BET and WKYS-93.9 FM judged the performances.

The talent show, which was based on the late-night television show “Showtime at the Apollo,” kicked off the GW Festival of the Arts Sunday.

Students from GW, Howard and American universities showcased their talent by singing, dancing, reading poetry, rapping and performing stand-up comedy acts.

The first place winner, GW freshman Lori Dyer, amazed the audience with a dance routine and took home a $100 prize.

Zakia Jackson of Howard won second place with a performance of “Get Here,” by Oleta Adams.

“That girl can sing,” audience member Uche Ajene said.

Third place went to a team of rappers, led by GW students Arthur Andrew and Shatiq Mitchell, whose energetic performance left the audience dancing.

“I’m very happy with the turnout,” said Nadine Lindsay, a member of the GW’s chapter of the NAACP.

Thompson estimated 200 students attended the event.