Sports Briefs

Rogers, Mescheriakov take part in all-star weekend

GW men’s basketball players Shawnta Rogers and Yegor Mescheriakov competed for the east team in the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-Star Game Friday at the Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla.

The west team won the game 93-86. Rogers scored five points and had three assists for the east, while Mescheriakov scored eight points and grabbed five rebounds.

Rogers also competed in the College Three-Point Championship in the Ice Palace in Tampa Thursday, but he did not advance past the first round. Rogers scored eight points out of a possible 30 points.

-Dustin Gouker

Crew teams kick off spring season

The GW men’s and women’s crew teams began their seasons in upstate New York at different meets Saturday.

The men’s varsity eight lost at the Rochester Institute of Technology by a couple of seconds. RIT finished in a time of 6:36.8, while GW finished in 6:38.3.

“It was a really good meet,” men’s head coach Erich Shuler said. “There were two turns on the course and we were on the outside, and I think that made the difference. If it had been a straight course, I think we would have won.”

The novice eight beat RIT by 20 seconds as GW finished with a time of 7:06.

The women competed at against Ithaca College and host Cornell University.

The only boat to pick up a victory for GW was the varsity eight, which won with a time of 7:25.9. Cornell finished four seconds behind in a time of 7:29.5.

“We’re just very psyched,” women’s head coach Steve Peterson said. “Cornell is on our level as far as getting into NCAAs, so this is a good step.”

GW’s second varsity eight came in second, 10 seconds behind Cornell with a time of 7:56.7. The third varsity eight and first novice eight both came in third in their races.

“It shows that our depth is a little weaker than Cornell’s,” Peterson said.

-Dustin Gouker and David Holt