News Briefs

Dance concert to showcase student, guest talents

GW’s Spring Dance Concert will feature work from guest artists and student choreographers next week at the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre.

Stacy Palatt, a dancer and choreographer who teaches dance at GW and the School Without Walls, will direct the three-day extravaganza. The concert will be Palatt’s first production at GW.

Guest artists will include New York dancer Kirstie Simson, who has been called “one of the legends of British dance and one of the greatest exponents of contact improvisation,” according to a University press release. Other guests include GW faculty member Joseph Mills and choreography by politically motivated Mexican artists Miguel Angel Diaz and Claudia Vasquez Del Mercado.

Work by student choreographers also will be showcased.

The show runs April 8 through April 10 and begins at 7:30 p.m. Admission for students and senior citizens is $8 and general admission is $10. Tickets are available at TicketMaster by calling 432-7328 or at the Marvin Center box office.

-Kathryn Maese

Online politics conference at National Press ClubThe Graduate School of Political Management will help present a conference on “Online Politics and Democratic Values” Monday at the National Press Club.

The conference will tackle the social, legal, civic and philosophical implications of the growing use of the Internet in American politics, according to a University press release.

Panelists will include Kathleen DeLaski of America Online, former Federal Elections Commission Chairman Trevor Potter and Michael Vlahos of the U.S. Internet Council.

The Democracy Online Project is sponsoring the conference. The Democracy Online Project is a two-year program funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts and administered by GSPM.

The conference will be from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the National Press Club on 14th and F streets.

Crisis center to discuss acquaintance rape

The D.C. Rape Crisis Center will host a brown bag luncheon Thursday to discuss acquaintance rape.

The panel will focus on the duties of the Rape Crisis Center, how acquaintance rape happens and how to prevent it.

The luncheon will begin at noon Thursday in Marvin Center room 404. Guests are invited to bring their own lunch.

-Matt Berger

Rape, sexual assault definitions may change

The Joint Committee of Faculty and Students passed a resolution Friday to reform sections of the Code of Student Conduct dealing with rape and sexual assault.

Adam Siple, JCFS co-chair, said he feels the change is necessary because the old code of conduct did not include the role of drugs and alcohol in sexual assault and rape, did not include the issue of silence with regard to consent, and inadequately addressed the issue of acquaintance rape.

“We need a sexual assault policy tailored to a campus community,” Siple said. “(These changes) will send an important message to the community.”

The Faculty Senate referred the resolution to the University’s general counsel’s office where the document’s language will be reviewed. Siple said he does not foresee any problems with the language because a representative of the general counsel’s office worked with the JCFS in the initial stages to determine the resolution’s language.

Pending approval by the general counsel’s office, the resolution will return to the Faculty Senate and then go to the University’s Board of Trustees, where the resolution must be approved.

Siple said it is possible the code, pending approval, will reflect the change by next fall.

-Theresa Crapanzano